United Airlines has just launched an exciting Europe award sale. Over the next three days, you can reserve economy flights across the Atlantic to 12 European destinations, beginning at 30,000 miles one-way (in addition to taxes and fees, starting at $47.15 round-trip).
Routes: From all mainland U.S. airports to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS), Brussels Airport (BRU), Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG), Dublin Airport (DUB), Edinburgh Airport (EDI), Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Geneva Airport (GVA), London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR), Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD), Munich Airport (MUC), Shannon Airport (SNN) and Zurich Airport (ZRH)
How to book: Directly with the airline
Travel dates: Select travel dates through Dec. 14
Book by: Friday by 11:59 p.m. CDT
You are not required to purchase a round-trip ticket to be eligible for the discounted award price.
Following the global United MileagePlus devaluation earlier this year, the airline unexpectedly raised the one-way saver economy-class award rates from 30,000 to 40,000 miles on award tickets from the mainland U.S. to Europe.
However, with this promotion, you can book at the pre-devaluation rate of 30,000 miles for a one-way economy-class award. This saves you 20,000 miles compared to the post-devaluation round-trip awards.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to London
Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Amsterdam
Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Shannon
Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Geneva
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) to Munich
If you plan to book a flight and are considering transferring credit card points, check out potentially cheaper award rates on partner program Avianca LifeMiles. The program charges just 23,200 miles from Dulles International Airport (IAD) to Paris.
Maximize your purchase
Use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year
- Citi Prestige® Card: 5 points per dollar on airfare
- Citi Premier® Card (see rates and fees): 3 points per dollar on airfare
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3 points per dollar on airfare
- American Express® Gold Card: 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2 points per dollar on travel
See this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you’re prepared to book a trip to Europe before Friday, this award sale presents an excellent opportunity to make the most of your United miles.
Round-trip flights from the West Coast to Europe often cost approximately $1,200 in standard economy class. However, by utilizing 60,000 United miles, you’ll be getting around 2 cents per mile; that’s about 50% more than our valuation of United miles.
If something comes up, you can always cancel your reservation and have your miles redeposited and taxes and fees refunded. Just ensure that your flight arrangements are made before Friday.
- 6 things you need to know about United Airlines MileagePlus
- The best credit cards for United Airlines flyers
- What is United Airlines elite status worth?
- Maximize your airfare: The best credit cards for booking flights
- The best credit cards to reach elite status
- How to survive basic economy on United Airlines